Monday, January 29, 2007

to medicate or not to medicate?

I'm asking this with very little knowledge or opinion. I'm planning on doing my research, but in the meantime...opinions?

So, we just got back from the doctor and Cole has an upper respiratory infection, two ear infections and several new teeth coming in. (well, the sames ones that have been trying for a while.) I left with an antibiotic for his ears, and a recommendation to give him numbing ear drops, children's Motrin (for the ears and teeth), and Benadryl (for the cough). That's a lot of medicine for a little boy. And, considering how horribly he has been feeling...causing a huge void of sleep for the family, I'm almost not hesitant to give him his doses. On the other hand, I think I need to know what the cost of medicating my baby is.

Luckily, his doctor is great and she has a daughter around 18 months old. She doesn't push medication for her own daughter. And I don't think she would for any of her patients if it wasn't extremely helpful. It seems harmless. Is it?

2 comments:

  1. This is hard. I grew up in a house that rarely gave medicine or herbal remedies or anything at all. We suffered, I guess (?) through it when we were sick.

    Devin grew up in the opposite type of home.

    Did the teething tablets work at all? Maybe not since he has so many dang teeth coming in at once. Jeez. 5? Did the doctor recommend the tubes in the ears? Because honestly ear aches are THE WORST.

    This is purely my recommendation. Numbing drops, sure. Medicine to stop the coughing and numb the teething pain, sure. It sounds like he's in a lot of pain overall. I wouldn't hesitate in this type of situation. If you started giving him it at the slightest cough or runny nose, maybe I would rethink it all.

    But, I haven't done the research either. I hesitate giving her Tylenol sometimes for her teeth. But, if they are in pain (and suffering) and not sleeping b/c of it, something has to be done. Poor Cole. I feel so bad for him. And you. That's hard.

    But, the snuggliness is nice. I agree with that silver lining. And it's even more than that. It's that you know they look to you for protection and relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor poor Cole. And poor you. I can see why you would be hesitant with that much medication. I am always a little hesitant to give Izzy anything for her teeth or when she was sick in the past.

    I think it comes down to how confident you are with your doctor's advice and your mothering instincts. I would probably give Isobel the medications...let us know what you do. Hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...