While Kelli is no longer with us here at Tangled and True, she still checks in and keeps up to date with what is going on, so please join me in wishing her a happy birthday (her birthday was today).
I love birthdays and there is no better way to celebrate than with cupcakes! So I'll leave you with the best red velvet recipe I've found to date and also a link to some amazing lemon cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting. They won't disappoint!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 ounces water
2 ounces red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add eggs and blend well
4. Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring and add to the butter mixture.
5. Sift flour and salt together into this mixture
6. One at a time, add the following ingredients: buttermilk, vanilla and water.
7. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and the baking soda. Fold it into the cake batter. Make sure it's incorporated but don't beat it.
8. Pour the batter into the cupcake tins. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched.
9. Remove from oven and let cook for about 10 minutes, then turn the cupcakes out of the tins and onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
Frost with desired frosting (I recommend a buttercream).
image via frenchkisspastries.com