Monday, February 2, 2009

sour cream lemon cake... the best ever.



2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
grated zest of 1 large lemon
1 cup sour cream

LEMON GLAZE
1/4 cup melted butter
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 325. Generously butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.

Into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In a mixing bowl with hand-held electric mixer, cream 1 cup butter and granulated sugar; beat at high speed until mixture is very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down side of bowl frequently. Blend in lemon zest. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, adding each in 3 additions. Scrape sides of bowl frequently. Pour batter into prepared cake pan; bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden pick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine lemon glaze ingredients in a bowl, blending until smooth. Carefully turn cake out onto a platter; drizzle evenly with glaze.

Serves 12 or more, depending on size of servings.

*image via flickr
*recipe found here

15 comments:

  1. i might have to try it. . .i seem to ruin every other lemon cake recipe i try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I have a ginormous container of sour cream from Costco that I've been using up little by little, this would be just the trick to get rid of the rest of it! Thanks for sharing :)
    Best,
    Amanda @ www.kiddio.org / www.housemade.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to make that.... very much up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like heaven! If I had a lemon...I would try it right this second. Tomorrow will have to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think this will be one of my recipes to try for my kid's birthday party this Saturday!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to try that . . . . thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks terrific. Thanks for sharing. Great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is a good recipe to try...the cake tastes excellent and fluffy! TQ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best lemon cake I have ever had by far. Even though the cake fell (I had some oven issues - long story!), it was still fantastic and very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friend Laurie made this cake for her show and I fell in love with this sweet summer cake. It was soo Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FANTASTIC recipe. Used cream cheese icing and a mountain of blueberries. Very happy friends/family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so far:
    yummy batter - had to taste it to make sure :) - and it is in the oven.
    finished product:
    delish! moist, lemony (and i even forgot to put on the glaze) and addicting.
    i did add blueberries (the whole reason for making this was i saw a lemon blueberry cake on a menu and they were out of it and then of course i just HAD TO HAVE IT) and they were a great addition.
    definitely will make again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an awesome cake! My husband and I finished it in a week's time. I makes a lot of glaze and I thought that it was too much so I threw it out, but later I realized I needed it to keep it from getting too dry ( I dd dry up only a little without all the glaze, but it was still so delish!). Thank you do so mush for posting this recipe, this will be one that I will pass on to my daughter when she is old enough to bake.

    -kymberly

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cake is out of site, when
    your in a pinch for time It's
    not only delicious it is so
    quick.

    Thanks so much for sharing,
    Irene

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...