Thursday, November 19, 2009

5 wheat kernels

This post from the amazing Puj designer/owner Katie Richardson.


I am so thrilled to be here talking about Thanksgiving traditions. I certainly enjoy the nostalgia of homemade stuffing and pumpkin pie, but what I love most about Thanksgiving is the opportunity to reflect on my many blessings and share those thoughts and feelings with loved ones. In years past, as we gathered the family around the table, we would each take a turn vocalize 5 blessings, each represented by 5 kernels of corn placed by our plate. These tokens represent the pilgrims rations in 1623 known as the "starving time." They would sometimes go up to 5 days on these few kernels of corn. My husband and I have instituted a new tradition in our own family. The 5 kernels of corn have now been replaced with 5 kernels of wheat. This is a reminder of a time in our own family where food was quite sparse. We had turned down several job offers to pursing our dreams. Blessed with the foresight and instruction to prepare for hard times, we had been setting aside food to be stored. Soon we found ourselves in need of this food storage. Often times, the only thing we would have to eat was bread that I had made from the stored wheat kernels. This was a time in our lives that looked as though we had so little, but we knew we were being richly blessed.

A time that we never want to forget.

6 comments:

  1. Kate, thanks for sharing that. It's what I needed. Wish we lived closer, I need more does of you in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, you know I love you! What a sweet Thanksgiving tradition, and what beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. katie, this brought tears to my eyes. you guys are amazing and i am so excited for all the good things coming your way. what a wonderful tradition to teach your boys. you are the best parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our family has always done that exact same thing, ever since I was a teeny teeny kid! We used the popcorn; I love that you've put your own spin on it that makes it extra personal for you. Those are some of my favorite memories with my family, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. Thank you for the reminder & the touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tradition! I love traditions that help remind us of the true meaning behind holidays. Very touching. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...