Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving by amr

To me the holidays are all about happy. Whatever I can do to brighten the experience and put a smile on my (and my family's) face - you can be assured I'm all over it! I'm an idea girl - but I've learned from experience that I can't let my brain go too crazy. All the fabulous ideas and projects in the world won't save a stressful and strung-out celebration. So I thought I would share some really simple and successful Thanksgiving tips that won't send you screaming out the back door (a reference to my dear mother who advises me in stressful situations to do that very thing - open the back door and give a good holler. Try it! You'll be surprised how much release it gives :)

First, here is my very favorite recipe for rolls. And I think the title of the recipe will be a good indicator why:

NEVER FAIL REFRIGERATOR ROLL.


As a former roll failure, I was quite giddy to discover a recipe with such promise and encouragement in a few simple words. The biggest trick to these rolls is remembering to make them the day before you take them. Yep, that's the biggest trick. Sounds simple, right? There is one last warning and that is this: Be careful when you bring them anywhere...because they are so soft,delicious, and addictive - you'll be asked to bring them to all your holiday and family functions from then on.

Never Fail Refrigerator Roll

1c. milk
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar

Melt together, don't scorch. Set aside to cool.

1 scant T. yeast
1/4 c. warm water
Dissolve yeast in warm water. (Add just a bit of sugar to aid in dissolving the yeast.)

2 t. sugar
3 eggs, beaten
4 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt

Combine eggs and sugar and beat with a fork. Add the milk mixture and yeast and blend with a fork. Add the flour and salt and stir with a fork. (Or just do it all with your kitchen aid- that's what I did) Put in fridge overnight, covered tightly.

Two hours before you want to serve the rolls, roll the dough into a circle on a floured surface. Your dough will be sticky, so use enough flour. Spread with softened or melted butter. Cut into pie shaped wedges (24) and roll up like a croissant. Let rise 2 hours at room temperature.
Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
Next up, a fun project to send to those you won't get to celebrate with. If your family is anything like mine, you are spread across the states and don't get to spend each holiday with all your family members. This is an especially fun idea for the grandparents who won't be seated at your Thanksgiving table this year.

You know those cute hand print turkeys your kids make at school? Use one of those or make one of your own by painting and "stamping" each child's hand onto cardstock - or even simpler, just trace their hand with crayons and let them color it in with the appropriate turkey details. (Googly eyes are always a hit if you have them on hand.) Either fold the paper in half to make a card or cut it out and paste it onto another piece of cardstock.

Once you have your card, help them print the following poem on the inside:
This isn't just a turkey
As anyone can see

I made it with my hand

Which is a part of me
It comes with lots of love
And I'd like to say
I hope you have a very
Happy Thanksgiving Day

Sweet and simple and sure to put a smile on some faces.

Another fun idea that gets everyone involved in the Thanksgiving Day menu is to set up a voting station. We did this last year for Christmas dinner and it was a huge hit. This year we have used our chalkboard wall to "vote" on Thanksgiving sides about a week before the big day. Sometimes when friends and neighbors drop by, we've asked them to add their favorites to the wall. We are guaranteed our traditional favorites, but this is a fun way to add a couple new twists to the menu.
My last idea - is only an idea - or rather an unchartered recipe. I haven't tested it yet, but am hoping to get to it this weekend. If you make it before I do (or you've made it before) please let me know if it is as delectably delicious as it sounds. I found it in "Southern Lady" magazine. (How much do you love that name? In my mind I see a boardroom full of Paula Deans brainstorming oodles of ideas and recipes.)

Pumpkin Cheesecake Fudge
Makes about 3 pounds

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 (11-ounce) package white chocolate morsels
1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow crème
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups walnuts, toasted

1. Line a 13x9x2-inch pan with aluminum foil; set aside.

2. In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, butter, milk, pumpkin, corn syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 234°.

3. Remove from heat; stir in white chocolate until melted. Stir in remaining ingredients until smooth. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let cool for 2 hours. Cut into small squares to serve.

image credit

Phew! That's all folks! I hope you've enjoyed some of my Thanksgiving ideas. Thanks Brittany, for letting me be a part of your fantastic blog. It's always been one of my favorites...and fellow readers, please stop by Melt by amr and say hello.

2 comments:

  1. i love the voting idea, and those rolls are very similar to my moms recipe that I love! you really can't screw them up. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much, i made these and my family loved them!! I even posted about them on my blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...